The Encyclopedia of Henna
Samples Indigo Science History
Health Gray Suppliers Beauticians
Links Warnings Allergies PPD Dyes
Forum Find It!
So, how do you henna your hair?
1. Prepare Patron. See that patron's clothing is completely covered with dye cape.
2. Mix and
in top of double boiler.
4. Towel dry hair. Leave hair a little moist, for henna will cling to a damp surface and action will be faster.
5. Protect hands with rubber gloves.
and part hair
in four sections.
8. Adjust wax cap. Cap is used to avoid drippage and to assist in retaining heat.
10. Rinse out henna with strong spray.
11. Shampoo hair thoroughly. Use as many applications of shampoo as you find necessary to remove all henna and stain from scalp.
12. Give a cream rinse and set hair in desired style.
13. Clean shampoo bowl and utensils; sterilize tools.
14. Make out complete record.
Review Questions and Answers:
1. Why is
it not necessary
to give a predisposition test for henna?
to be observed in using henna.
henna on the hair?
clothing of an operator be protected?
are henna stains
removed from the skin?
6. Why is
of enamelware and wooden spoons recommended?
added to henna?
What is a
pack, and when it is it used?
On what types
should Egyptian henna never be used?
the text seems
to discourage henna, and promote the "more natural looking"
dyes, "with para-phenylendiamine, it is possible to duplicate the most
unusual shade of human hair without impairing its lustre or texture.
A small percentage of patrons are sensitive to aniline derivative dyes
(PPD). To identify such individuals is required for all patrons
to applying the dye. This is required by law." ( The
require that a the PPD hair dye be applied behind the ear, and the
return 24 hours later, to be examined for inflammation, redness,
itching, sensitivity.) Note: PPD dyes cause
hypersensitivity reactions which may not begin for 3 -10 days!
To its credit,
describes several contagious diseases and describes how to avoid
them from patron to patron: Diphtheria, Gonorrhea, Tuberculosis,
Fever, Influenza, and Syphilis. It mentions that pathogenic bacteria
be seen with the naked eye. It warns against uncovered coughing,
sneezing, and spitting in public. It warns against unclean hands,
unclean instruments, open sores and pus, mouth and nose discharges, and
common use of drinking cups and towels. It warns that pus is a sure
of the presence of an infectious disease. It states that implements can
be sterilized with warm soapy water and alcohol (though electric
should be disconnected before putting into water)..
Various and Sundry quotes from this amazing book:
Hair tinting and Bleaching ... (referring to aniline, coal tar ... paraphyenylenediamine hair dyes) ... is sure repeat business. The patron who once starts to have her hair tinted must keep right on coming to your shop at regular intervals. ...it will become one of your most profitable fields of income.
Tinted or Bleached Hair has Advantages to Certain Women:
1. The business woman who perhaps feels that the shade of her hair is a handicap to her business.
2. The woman who is married to a man of much younger appearance.
3. The young unmarried woman, whose hair has turned prematurely gray.
4. Gray haired
wish to appear younger.
Straight hem, no
Henna For Hair is devoted to the art and science
of dying hair with natural dyes.
Natural hair dyes are good for your health,
and good for your planet!
Can't find what you're looking for here?
Try the Henna For Hair Main Index
For more information on henna as body art,
see The Henna Page