Re: A Thought on 'cooling down' warm tones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Henna For Hair ~ Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by iris on July 12, 2004 at 05:24:27:

In reply to: A Thought on 'cooling down' warm tones posted by Dionne on July 11, 2004 at 20:44:39:

: I have no idea if this would work, but it's worth a try, if anyone
: wants to 'cool down' their henna tones..
:
: Quite a few companies make purple shampoos & rinses, for blonde
: hair.. to take the brassiness/orangeness off (though it is only
: usually a temporary effect). I used some of these with success, when
: I had blonde hair.
:
: So I was just wondering if they'd take the brassiness off hennaed
: hair & maybe cool it down a little..
: Has anyone tried using these kinds of products before?
I have. it worked to tone down the orange, but I didn't like the colour it gave me (a
dull brown).

I've been through the whole trying-to-get-rid-of-the-orange-thing. the first time I
hennaed was a little over a year ago. it came out traffic-light orange the first time,
and it didn't look good on me at all (made me look pale and sick). I remember vividly
standing in front of the mirror and thinking 'oh my god, WHAT have I done ;-)!' then I
tried all sorts of things to get rid of the orange: beet juice, a natural food coloring in
bright red (beet root, I think), adding coffee, special effects (in magenta), the blue
shampoos, indigo. I was completely obsessed with trying to get rid of the orange, but
none of it really did the trick.

in the end I think the additives really do not make much of a difference (well, indigo
does make a difference, but washes out within a couple of washes for me). I think it's
mostly a matter of waiting for oxidization. most of the oxidization takes place within
the first two days, but it seems to be a continuing process. if you have people around
you that have been using henna for years and years, you will see that they all get a
similar colour in the end - it ends up more purple than orange, really. that's the
colour of oxidized henna, I guess. very pretty.

I am now rather happy with using body art quality henna, with red wine and cloves.
the first couple of days I still get more orange than I like, although it has never been
as bad again as it was the first time. I have given up trying to fight the orange, I just
do a couple of things that make it easier: I only henna when I don't have to be out in
public too much for a couple of days. I also make sure to do it when there won't be
too much sunshine (that's easy - I'm in holland ;-)), because the orange shows more
in the sunshine. in those first couple of days after henna I also make sure to wear
colours that go well with it and make me feel happy (bright pinks and reds). this
routine really works for me. you just have to give it some time, that's all.

good luck,
iris

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:   
E-Mail:   
Subject:   

Optional link URL:   
Link title:   
Optional image URL:   

Served by ruboard 2.1.1; Copyright © 1998 by Andrew Maltsev.