didn't read the other replies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Henna For Hair ~ Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kim in MI on February 2, 2005 at 12:50:17:

In reply to: Looking for tried henna/indigo for hubby's dark brown hair.... Suggestions?? posted by Ginny on February 2, 2005 at 11:15:39:

Sorry I didn't reply to your earlier post, I wasn't sure I had anything helpful to say.

I have had success getting a "cool" reddish brown, cool dark auburn using 50% henna
and 50% indigo. There are still red tones, but not what I consider brassy, and I think
they still look good with my 'cool complexion' ...

When I mix (Kim A. in the mixes) I mixed the henna and lemon juice the night before
and let it sit at least 12 hours. In the morning I mixed indigo with HOT water, not
boiling but just under, and saw dye release very quickly. I mixed the two together
after about 30 minutes and applied immediately.

The color is closer to an "ash brown" to start, and mellows over a month to more of
an auburn. It still is cool, and is still pretty red in the sun ... but not brassy or orange
at all.

I have tried coffee and black walnuts for a "browner brown" in the beginning, but had
*better* success, personally, with indigo than I did with the other attempts.

I have been reading the posts about amla with interest, it sounds like henna/indigo/
amla applied at once, or henna/amla applied together, might give good *brown*
tones but I have not played with that (yet) myself ... I would do strand tests to see if
you get a color you like.

Hope this helps a little!

kim

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:   
E-Mail:   
Subject:   

Optional link URL:   
Link title:   
Optional image URL:   

Served by ruboard 2.1.1; Copyright © 1998 by Andrew Maltsev.