Re: Dislike yellow-orange hue right after henna

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Henna For Hair ~ Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by iris on December 4, 2004 at 13:39:31:

In reply to: Re: Dislike yellow-orange hue right after henna posted by Alison on December 3, 2004 at 20:06:21:

it's definately not the lemon juice. try adding cloves, this does seem to help the henna
to take a bit better (so you get more red). also experiment with adding a little bit of
indigo.

I've been trying to get a more bluish red for a long time now, and I haven't been
completely successful, but adding cloves helps for me. Adding indigo also helps, but
this is tricky - it washes out on my roots fairly quickly, but it sticks to the length
longer, so I get much darker length than roots (to the point where some strands in
the length are almost black by now - ugh!).

I'm working with doing the roots with a henna-indigo mixture, and the length with
just henna. The idea is that the indigo on the roots will stay in to hide the yellowish
hue until the henna has oxidized enough, and it will wash out by the time the henna
has oxidized. I haven't been doing this for long enough to know if practise follows the
theory here, but it's an idea.

Another way to hide the yellow until your henna oxidizes, is to use those blue
shampoos designed for people with gray or blonde hair.

: : It's even starting to bother me that with a yellow/orange hue seems
: : to affect the colors in my wardrobe too!
;-). I know just what you mean. I'm also tempted to buy colours that never looked
good on me before, and to throw out colours that used to look great on me.

I don't think this is the right way to go, though. most people look best with their
natural hair colour. if your natural colouring is blueish/ashy/cool, I think it makes
more sense to try to tweak your hair colour that way, because chances are it will go
better with your skin tone anyway.

iris

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:   
E-Mail:   
Subject:   

Optional link URL:   
Link title:   
Optional image URL:   

Served by ruboard 2.1.1; Copyright © 1998 by Andrew Maltsev.