my experiences

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Henna For Hair ~ Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kim in MI on June 23, 2004 at 10:44:55:

In reply to: Potential hair henna convert - Too soon for henna...and using indigo to get a less coppery color? posted by Erika on June 21, 2004 at 12:37:38:

Do a strand test, to make sure it won't go wiggy after the synthetic dyes ...

I was also going for more of a burgundy color. My first attempt was henna + black
walnut, for a browner ... it turned out bright copper. My second attempt was a
different type of henna + beetroot powder + a little indigo ... it was a deeper copper.
This last time I used the leftovers from my 2nd mix plus about an equal volume of
indigo. This time I got a nice deep rich darker color, more like a dark sweet cherry.
I'll stick a pic in here. I also left the henna on longer this time, 4.5 hours. I don't
know how much of the color deepening was from successive application and how
much was adding the indigo and how much was leaving it on longer. But I do think if
you want less coppery, use some indigo and leave it on as long as you can, 6-8 hours

to specifically answer your questions (replies mixed in below):

: Do I mix a small amount of indigo with the henna powder? ****when I mixed just a
little, I didn't see a noticable difference (mix 2) but when I did about 50/50 I did.

: Is lemon juice the best thing to mix with like when you do body
: henna, or is it too drying? **** I used lemon juice. I don't think it dried my hair out.
:
: Do I mix the henna powder with hot liquid? **** I used room temp lemon juice
:
: How long should I leave it on if I want the darkest possible color? **** from what I've
read, 6-8 hours or overnight for darker, deeper shades
:
: Can I reapply if I want to get a darker color? **** yes ... you might want to wait a few
days just to see what color it is, first
:
: Does the color develop over a couple of days like on the body? **** from what I've
read, the brassiness fades after a few days. I couldn't really tell on mine. The indigo
says it takes about 24 hours to oxidize/deepen but I couldn't tell that on mine, either.

HTH
Kim in MI

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:   
E-Mail:   
Subject:   

Optional link URL:   
Link title:   
Optional image URL:   

Served by ruboard 2.1.1; Copyright © 1998 by Andrew Maltsev.