Re: Using Fia's gel method for (non-henna) herbaln treatments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Henna For Hair ~ Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fia on April 22, 2004 at 09:32:21:

In reply to: Re: Using Fia's gel method for (non-henna) herbaln treatments posted by Elettaria on April 21, 2004 at 15:03:02:

:So what do you reckon? How much of this stuff should I use, how much
:water and how much lemon juice? Should I just mix it all together and
:boil it for a few minutes? Do you have any ideas about the other
:questions I asked in my original post?

OK - I had to look at the little booklet that came with my bottle. It suggests using 2ml
liquid pectin per 100ml of liquid for jelly. If I remember correctly I used about double of
that since I'm not adding any sugar to the mix. So for 500 ml I think I used about 25 ml -
1/5 of a bottle (the ones I get are at 125 ml) - which would be about right since if I
remember correctly they've created powder and liquid equal - 1 ml gives the same result
as 1 gram.

As always the liquid has to be acidic for the pectin to work - but you already know that - I
usually mix half lemon juice, half water. I bring the liquid to a boil and mix it with the
pectin while boiling. Boil at full strength for a full minute to activate the pectin. Pour the
hot liquid over the herbs you're using and wait for it to gel. I wouldn't personally boil the
herbs, just pour the hot liquid over them.

:I currently have a hairbrush test going for just the blonde henna, I
:thought I'd see what that gets up to, and I'm not sure how long to
:leave it. I'm tempted to do it for longer than I actually would,
:since I've noticed that strand/hairbrush tests often come out
:lighter//less intensely treated than when you do your whole head.

You might see a lighter result on the strand tests you're doing since you don't have the
added body heat when they're just on a strand test. At least for pure henna -heat helps it
develop better - thus a strand sitting somewhere out in the open would likely be less
intense than the same mix on a strand attached to your head. Not sure how to recreate
that... Putting it on top of a hot water bottle kept at about body temperature? Wrapping it
in cling wrap and keeping it next to your body while doing other stuff (just make sure it's
not leaking...)? Putting it on top of a radiator?

:Do you still get the deep conditioning treatment when you gel henna,
:or do you only get the colour with the gel?

I've always received the full conditioning benefits from the gelled henna - no difference
with using it this way or full strength.

:And can you microwave this stuff?

Never tried - in theory it might work since you can boil water in a microwave. I'm not sure
though about the ability to boil it a full strength for a full minute and still keep it in
whatever container you're using - it foams quite a lot when boiling and easily boils over - I
find that easier to control on a stove than in a microwave. It would be quite messy to clean
out the microwave if it happened.

And then an attempt to answer your original questions:

:OK, first question. Is the gel method going to work for deep
:conditioning, or does it just work for colouring (which I'm not really
:doing)?

Should work just as well for deep conditioning - you're just giving whatever you're using a
more workable consistency. Doesn't matter if the herbs are conditioning or coloring.

:Second question: should three boxes plus pectin be enough for
:thigh-length hair?

Almost impossible to say. I use 100 grams of henna to 500 ml of liquid and I have quite a
lot leftover after finished. My hair is just above brastrap with fine strands and about
normal thickness (ponytail circumference of about 2.5 inches or 6.5 centimeters).

:Third question: how do I use this type of pectin?

Should have been answered above.

:Fourth question: I want to deep condition but not change the colour (I
:could live with making it very slightly warmer/brighter, but nothing
:that will look noticeable when it grows out), how long would you
:suggest I leave it on for?

Conditioning benefits from henna usually come quite fast for me - if you're only after the
conditioning I'd say probably no more than half an hour to an hour needed. With some
slight reservation for the other herbs though as I'm not famililar with them and how fast
the work.

/Fia

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:   
E-Mail:   
Subject:   

Optional link URL:   
Link title:   
Optional image URL:   

Served by ruboard 2.1.1; Copyright © 1998 by Andrew Maltsev.