Re: Joining the ranks...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Henna For Hair ~ Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by iris on April 13, 2004 at 06:57:29:

In reply to: Joining the ranks... posted by Diane on April 12, 2004 at 17:09:00:

: the actual result all-over was a bit of a shock! WOW! How red can you
: get?! lol. I'm a fiery flaming orangey deep deep intense rust
: colour! The orange tones are settling down a little bit, but even
: though I knew day one was not the true colour, I have to say it was a
: bit unnerving!
I know what you mean ;-). first time I used henna, I got TRAFFIC LIGHT ORANGE.
couldn't believe that a plant could produce such an intensely bright colour. all I could
think when I looked in the mirror for the first time was 'what have I done!'. but it
really does calm down after a couple of days.

: Couple of questions: Does anyone find that repeated applications
: cause the colour to even-out all over, as I would hate to end up with
: a flat single colour?
well, I have lighter strands naturally, and they do even out. but you do get some
dimensionality in another direction: damaged hair takes up more dye, and gets more
colour with repeated applications, so you get more colour at the ends than the roots.
my ends are a more purple red, my roots more orangey red. also, the way the light
reflects on your hair is different for different strands, as pierre points out. it's by no
means a flat colour.

I did at some point bleach a strand to break the colour; I also don't like to have a
single colour hair.

: Also, anybody experienced with henna-ing red
: hair know whether the orangey tones ever completely go away with
: subsequent applications?
well, I have dark blonde hair naturally so I don't know about red hair, but after a
zillion applications I have finally managed to get rid of most of the orange. don't
know if this is because I mix with red wine and cloves and use body-art quality henna
now, or just because of the repeated applications themselves. but the first two-three
days after hennaing I still get a lot of orange. so I just 1. try to henna whenever I have
a couple of days where I don't have to go out in public too much; 2. wear bright pink
or red on those days. for some reason that makes it look like I *mean* to have orange
hair... which makes it fine.

iris

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:   
E-Mail:   
Subject:   

Optional link URL:   
Link title:   
Optional image URL:   

Served by ruboard 2.1.1; Copyright © 1998 by Andrew Maltsev.